fbpx

Our current grassland management advice is as follows:

 

  • Continue to walk the farm weekly to monitor Average Farm Cover (AFC).
  • By November 1st, farms with heavy soils should have between 70- 80% of their grazing area closed, while dry farms should have between 60-70% closed.
  • If grazing conditions stay favourable, avoid the temptation to run down AFC and re-graze closed paddocks. Under no circumstance should AFC drop below 500 kg DM/ha as this is detrimental for grass availability on the farm next spring.
  • While conditions are poor, use on-off grazing and back fencing to avoid excessive damage while trying to keep grass in the diet.
  • Heavy soil farms will soon be approaching the last week or 10 days of grazing.
  • Many dry farms will be approaching 60-70% grazed this week, which means the remaining 30% of your farm is where you will have a medium cover next spring. Identify paddocks that have a good grazing infrastructure (good farm roadway network, multiple access points/exit points and square in shape) and aim to graze them this week so that these paddocks will have a medium level of cover on them by next spring (800-1,000 kg DM/ha) which will be the paddocks to be grazed first.
  • Target a minimum closing cover of 600 kg DM/ha by December 1st (this is closing cover, not housing date).
  • Highly stocked farms should target a 650-750 kg DM/ha closing farm cover. Higher stocking rates (3+ cows/ha) on the milking platform in spring and those with a tight calving pattern should consider an earlier closing date to carry more grass over the winter.
  • As a general guide, grazing needs to stop once cows start entering covers of 900 kg DM/ha or less.
  • Grass Dry Matter % has been recorded as low as 11-13% over the last week during broken/unsettled weather, making it difficult to meet dry matter intake capacity at grass. Offering a sufficient silage buffer will assist in holding milk output decline to less than 2.5%/week until the end of lactation.

 

For further information on grassland management, contact your local Agritech Sales Advisor. 

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial
Share This

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close